Infrastructure Development Activities
- Seth Hudson of Cedar Corporation and I met with the County Executive Committee to review the finalized Bayfield County Business Park documents, which the committee recommended for approval at the November County Board meeting. At the November County Board meeting, I presented the documents which were unanimously approved for marketing purposes.
- Seth Hudson of Cedar Corporation and I met with the Barnes Area Development Corporation at the Barnes Town Hall office. I had previously connected Seth with the town, and they moved ahead to consult with Cedar on their economic development projects.
- I met with Jason Bodine, Director of Bayfield County Forestry. He updated me on all of the county parks, and his ongoing interest in adding more value for visitors to utilize the county parks in the future by more trail build-out over time, and other infrastructure such as the new Yurts now open.
- I met with David Eades, Executive Director of the Bayfield Chamber. We discussed the need I have been hearing of labor and housing shortage for Bayfield farms. David will be doing a survey to his board, and we will continue to study this topic and leverage how BCEDC and the community can be involved on this issue.
Local/Regional Projects & Events
- I attended the WEDA Conference in Eau Claire. The main focus was how communities employ “place making” to position them for future economic development. A panel on the business of music in communities, featuring Big Top Chautauqua as a success story was a highlight.
- I attended our Visions Northwest meeting, discussing ways to partner with members of the Grow North Regional group to further synergy by working together on how we can grow jobs in value added wood products in both regions. We want to continue working toward a Capacity Building Grant from WEDC for this product sector, and are beginning to plan to repeat the regional RIsE breakfasts held this year, in 2017.
- Our Business on Stage event this October was presented by Merlyn Coy, owner of Dental Metrics Lab in Iron River.
- I attended the Governor’s Northern Wisconsin Summit in Minocqua. A highlight of the Summit was the large emphasis on continued need for broadband infrastructure around the state in rural areas.
- Tim Kane of Bayfield County UW-Extension, Dale Kupczyk of AADC and I attended the statewide Broadband Boot Camp in Wisconsin Rapids. This full day program, involved updates from the UW-Extension Broadband Group on their initiatives for e-commerce training, and a panel from 3 regions in the state on how they utilized broadband infrastructure for the advancement of business in their areas. Our regional group also met to consider another broadband event in 2017.
BCEDC Specific Projects
- I attended the Broadband Communities Magazine national conference in Minneapolis, and presented on how an economic development entity partners with broadband providers to forward economic development. Our county was highlighted to a national audience via this event.
Norvado and BCEDC partnered on shooting a video to highlight a home based Tech Company east of Cable, to be available early 2017.
- Our BCEDC Marketing group met to begin planning the 2017 Business Support Breakfast which we will have in February. We felt the format should be similar to last year, with a BCEDC update and time for input from our supporters.
- I updated the Hwy 2/State Farm Road business park info on our website.
- I met with APEX regarding the direct mailing pieces we are beginning to prepare of Minnesota/Wisconsin businesses in early 2017, which have a second home in Bayfield County. This project is a continuation of a project we had done earlier this year for business attraction.
Q4 2016 Total Business Visits: 38
Year 2016 Total Visits: 206
– Scottie Sandstrom, Executive Director