Infrastructure Development Activities
- Our Bayfield County Business Park group met this quarter, reviewing our current and future goals on further infrastructure build out at the park. Mark Abeles-Allison is leading on crafting an RFP for the road design, with the thought of choosing a firm for road design for the park by Quarter 2.
- I attended a sub-committee meeting of the Iron River Economic Dev. Group, which involved further insight on how to utilize the Bayfield County Fairgrounds by developing events more year- round. Additional discernment on this will continue.
- I attended a Town of Bayfield Business Park Planning meeting, along with Seth Hudson of Cedar Corporation, and Nick Ertz of Impact 7. The committee learned how they may be able to leverage services from all of us for planning going forward.
Local/Regional Projects & Events
- I attended our Visions Northwest meeting in Hayward. We further discussed the RIsE Breakfasts with the theme of retaining and recruiting young talent. We discussed the WEDC capacity building grant awarded on the flood assessment study, further involvement with the Grow North Regional EDC on wood products, and a presentation on software that schools may soon be using to connect students to manufacturers.
- I attended and introduced the January Business on Stage event. Ken Pearson of Indianhead Community Action Agency and Andy Donahue of UWS-SBDC presented their business planning/developmental services for entrepreneurs.
- I met with Terri Pocernich, the new Tech-Ed teacher at Drummond High School. Recently hired, she is currently busy organizing the tech-ed space at the school by getting the students involved. I am connecting her with manufacturers in the area.
- I attended Superior Days in Madison this February. We had lobby meetings with the legislators on 4 key topics, plus had a keynote breakfast address from Tom Tiffany, state senator, who provided support for the Better City Superior lobby topic, plus we had an update by the DNR and a panel of our local legislators.
BCEDC Specific Projects
- Our BCEDC Marketing Committee met and discussed the google ad-words and potential social media posting we want to continue to discern using, how to leverage a video recently completed, plus a potential digital flyer to highlight home-based telecommuting business segments. Quarter 2 we will work on developing an overall marketing plan.
- Brian Hanson and Ian Vincent of APEX and I visited BuiltRite Manufacturing in Two Harbors, MN. We had a tour of the business, and discussed the study in heat treating, plating and powder coating we had previously done. We focused on the potential of powder coating, which is a growing segment and a potential for expansion in Bayfield County.
Q1 2017 Total Business Visits: 52
Year 2017 Total Visits: 52
– Scottie Sandstrom, Executive Director